Questions and answers about issuing and replacing an ID card:
1. If this is the first time I have applied for an identity card, what are the necessary documents that I must submit?
For the issuance of an Identity Card, the following supporting documents are submitted in person by the interested party to the competent police authority:
- Two (02) recent black and white photographs (for identity), dimensions 3.6 * 3.6 cm.
- Application – Responsible Statement, for the ex-officio search of the applicant’s data, by the Integrated Information System of National Population (OPSED), of the Ministry of Interior, which is printed and made available to the applicant in printed form for signature. The data retrieval process through (OPSED), does not apply in the following cases:
- The municipality in which the applicant is registered does not have online access services to the Integrated Information System of the National Municipality (OPSED) and
- It is not possible to connect to the internet access services in the Integrated Information System of the National Population Register (OPSED) of the municipality in the municipal registers, of which the applicant is registered.
- Application for the issuance of an identity card, which is completed by the competent Issuing Authority based on the identity data of the interested party, as they arise from the Integrated Information System of the National Register (OPSED) of the Ministry of Interior or from the birth certificate. The application is printed and made available to the applicant in printed form for signature.
- Certificate of Nursing Institution or Health Laboratory for the Blood group and RHESUS (if you wish to indicate them in your card.)
- Travel or other document of a domestic or foreign Authority, from which the previous registration of the data “SURNAME, NAME and NAME FATHERS” of the interested parties results, in Latin characters (if you wish to indicate the above data different from the standard ELOT 743, relevant responsible statement).
- For the issuance of the identity card, the confirmation of the applicant’s data by a witness is required. In the case of a minor, the confirmation of his / her details is done by one of his / her parents or by the one who has custody or guardianship over him / her.
** The Authority for the issuance of the identity card automatically seeks the required birth certificate for the issuance of the identity card, through the Integrated Information System of the National Population Register (OPSED), of the Ministry of Interior.
See here the sub no. 3021/19/53-kg from 28-8-2014 K.Y.A. “Amendment of the joint ministerial decision No. 3021/19/53 from 14-10-2005” Press, supporting documents, competent services and procedure for issuing identity cards of Greek citizens “” (Government Gazette B-2339 / 29-8-2014)
2. At what age do I have to get an ID card?
Since June 2005, all Greek citizens who have reached the age of 12 have been required to obtain a police ID card.
3. When should I replace my ID?
- In case any element of your identity has changed
- In case your citizenship or details in Latin characters are not indicated on the identity card
- In case it is worn
- When fifteen years have passed since its publication
- In case of loss or theft.
4. What documents do I have to submit in these cases?
For the replacement of the Identity Card, the supporting documents are submitted and the procedure provided for the initial-first issue of the Identity Card is followed.
You will also deliver the old card you want to replace (except in cases of theft and loss).
It is not obligatory to certify the identity of the applicant by a witness in cases 1,2,4 if
– the details on the previous ID are clear
– the card being replaced has been issued by the same Authority.
- In cases of theft, loss or damage, a witness is required, regardless of the Authority issuing the ID Card.
- In case 1 (replacement due to change of any element of identity) a copy of the relevant act of the Authority is required (eg due to change of surname, adoption, termination or cancellation, recognition, denunciation or legalization of a child and in any other by law case).
- In case of replacement due to damage or loss, a fee of 9 euros is required (in favor of the public). Payment is not required only when the damage or loss is due to reasons of force majeure, ie earthquake, fire, shipwreck, etc. In this case, a confirmation document of the event is presented or a responsible statement of the applicant is received.
- In cases 4 and 5 (replacement due to loss or theft) a responsible statement is required in which the interested party states the conditions of loss or theft of the identity card.
5. Where do I submit the supporting documents for the issuance of an identity card and what hours?
Identity cards are issued :
α) For the regions of Attica and Thessaloniki at the Security Department of the place of residence of the interested party.
β) For the rest of the Country in the Sub-Directorate or the Security Department of the place of residence of the interested party.
Where such Services do not operate, the identity cards are issued by the Police Department that exercises security responsibilities at the place of residence of the person concerned.
The Identity Offices are open daily during the morning hours (07.00-14.30 in summer and 07.30-15.00 in winter), with the exception of Wednesday which are open from 14:00 to 20:30, to serve the working citizens. Also, every Saturday from 08:30 to 13:00 they serve the students exclusively.
In any case, for more specific clarifications you can contact with the Identity Office of the Police Department of your area or at e-mail: email@example.com .